Test of Oral Interaction
|CARD 1. JOB AND OCCUPATION|
|You are unhappy with your job and have come to the Job Centre for advice. Talk to the job adviser:|
Tasks for the candidate:
• explain why you have come to the Job Centre;
• ask if there are any vacancies;
• find out about the salary and responsibilities of the job suggested;
• tell the job advisor that you are interested in the job;
• ask for the address and telephone number of the company which has got the vacancy.
|CARD 2. TOWN|
|It's a fine winter/spring day. You are visiting your friend in his/her home town. S/he takes you around the town to show places of interest.|
• Ask your friend about the age of the town;
• ask if your friend knows something about the history of the town;
• find out what places of interest there are in the town;
• choose the sights to see on the very first day of arrival;
• decide on the place to start your sightseeing tour and tell your friend.
|CARD 3. AT THE LIBRARY|
|You are at the library. You need materials on the topic "Ecological problems in modern world". Talk to the librarian and ask for assistance.|
• Explain what you need;
• ask about the latest publications on this topic;
• find out which of these materials are in foreign languages;
• ask the librarian about the price of photocopying services;
• tell the librarian which journals you would like to borrow and how many pages to copy.
|CARD 4. PETS|
|A friend of yours has got a dog which is loved by the whole family. You would also like to have a pet but you are afraid this may bring problems into your life.|
• ask your friend how s/he takes care of the dog;
• ask him/her how often s/he feeds the dog;
• find out what the biggest problems with the dog may be;
• ask for your friend's assistance in choosing the dog;
• tell your friend whether you are going to have a dog.
|CARD 5. COLLEAGUES AND FRIENDS|
|Your boss is having a birthday party. You are discussing the party with your colleague.|
• ask where the party will be held;
• ask if all your colleagues are invited;
• tell the colleague what your boss likes;
• decide what present to give;
• ask who will buy the present.
|CARD 6. TRAVEL|
|Your friend has just spent a holiday in Sochi. You want to go there too.|
• ask your friend how he/she got there;
• ask how long he/she stayed there;
• ask about the weather at this time of the year;
• ask for some more details about the holiday (e.g., accommodation, prices);
• decide if you will go to Sochi too.
|CARD 7. COUNTRIES|
|You are at a travel agency. Talk to the travel agent.|
• tell the agent that you want to go to Britain on holiday;
• ask the agent which places you should visit;
• ask what kinds of special tours they offer;
• find out about the costs of different tours;
• tell the agent if you will go to Britain or not.
|CARD 8. COMPUTERS|
|You have decided to buy a computer. You are in a computer shop.|
Talk to a shop assistant.
• ask what kinds of computers they have;
• ask about software;
• choose one of the models and ask about the price;
• ask what country the computer was made in;
• tell the shop assistant if you will buy this model or not.
|CARD 9. HOLIDAYS|
|You are at a Christmas party in an English family for the first time. You want to know more about public holidays and festivals in Britain.|
• ask what other public holidays and festivals are celebrated in Britain;
• find out about St. Valentine's Day celebration?
• ask if people traditionally give presents at Christmas in Britain;
• tell your British friend/colleague about the most popular holiday in Russia;
• invite him/her to celebrate this holiday with you.