Programme on Training Managers and Executives
for the Enterprises of National Economy of the Russian Federation
ENTRY TEST 2004
TEST OF GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
Выберите слово / словосочетание, которое лучше других соответствует смыслу предложения, и обведите нужную букву (А, В, С, D) на листе для ответов. Правильные ответы здесь.
I. I was crossing the street when a car ....... .
|A. crashed||C. was crashing|
B. has crashed ||D. has been crashing|
II. If you (1) ....... tomorrow, I (2) ....... you to a good dinner.
|A. (1) come (2) will have treated ||C. (1) come (2) would treat|
B. (1)came (2) will treat||D. (1) come (2) will treat|
1. His family lived in Lancaster ....... he was a child.
|A. when ||C. as|
|B. until||D. during|
2. Nowadays, people want a better ....... between work and home life.
|A. balance||C. mixture|
|B. combining ||D. mix|
3. The flat badly needs ........ .
|A. to clean||C. being cleaned|
|B. be cleaned ||D. cleaning|
4. We were not ....... at the news.
|A. surprise||C. surprised|
|B. surprises ||D. surprising|
5. Meg was the first to finish ....... her essay.
|A. to write ||C. writing|
|B. write||D. the writing|
6. Christine came in while I ....... on the phone.
|A. was talking||C. talked|
|B. had talked ||D. had been talking|
7. Last Saturday there ....... some Victorian furniture on sale.
|A. had been||C. was|
|B. has been ||D. were|
8. Basil has a memory ....... an elephant.
|A. as ||C. as like|
|B. like||D. alike|
9. A: You haven't met John, have you? - B: Yes, I have. In fact, I ....... him for years.
|A. has known ||C. know|
|B. knew||D. have known|
10. Computers ....... play chess for many years now.
|A. have been able to ||C. have had the ability|
|B. could||D. can|
11. He usually got up ....... 9.30, had breakfast and went to work.
12. It is very interesting to see tea tasters at ....... .
|A. practice||C. work|
|B. action ||D. operation|
13. The Trade Centre is situated on the other ....... of the river.
|A. shore||C. coast|
|B. border ||D. bank|
14 ....... the houses, shops and restaurants, there is a luxury hotel there.
|A. More than||C. In addition to|
|B. As well ||D. Apart|
15. The ....... in Southern Greece is very beautiful indeed.
|A. territory||C. setting|
|B. scenery ||D. land|
16. July is not as ....... as June.
|A. rainy||C. rainier|
|B. rain ||D. more rainy|
17. When her brother ....... into the room she ....... on the phone.
|A. (1) came (2) talk||C. (1) was coming (2) had talked|
|B. (1) had come (2) had been talking ||D. (1) came (2) was talking|
18. Alice is ....... girl in the team.
|A. cleverest||C. the most clever|
|B. the cleverer ||D. the cleverest|
19. They tried to avoid ....... politics.
|A. talk||C. talking|
|B. to be talking ||D. to talk|
20. John crossed the road and then stopped ....... at the poster.
|A. looking||C. look|
|B. to be looking ||D. to look|
21. Now everyone ....... what they are supposed to do.
|A. have known ||C. knew|
|B. knows||D. has known|
22. When examinations are in progress, ....... must keep quiet.
|A. someone||C. some|
|B. everyone ||D. no-one|
23. She will send you a fax as soon as she ....... your letter.
|A. gets||C. will get|
|B. got ||D. would get|
24. The police silently approached ....... the house and opened the door.
25. Ann is very proud ....... her brother.
|A. of||C. for|
|B. in ||D. about|
26. Try to find ....... answer to the problem.
27. She has been working on the report for ....... hours.
|A. little||C. a lot|
|B. a few ||D. too much|
28. I hear you are ....... money to buy your own car.
|A. saving||C. gathering|
|B. collecting ||D. finding|
29. I ....... to attend classes again when the doctor says that I am healthy.
|A. should||C. will be able|
|B. may ||D. must|
30. The first traffic signal was ....... by a railway engineer.
|A. invented||C. originated|
|B. created ||D. started|
31. At the moment, university ....... and graduates make up less then a third of the total population of Australia.
|A. pupils||C. students|
|B. trainees ||D. learners|
32. In Australia most children ....... primary school from the age of five.
|A. attend||C. go|
|B. assist ||D. walk|
33. He has never dealt ....... such problems before.
34. I am not going to jump on every mistake you ....... .
|A. perform ||C. make|
|B. do||D. have|
35. Apart from teaching what other careers have you ....... ?
|A. received ||C. had|
|B. got||D. reached|
36. The boss asked her ....... that secret information to anyone else.
|A. not to give||C. not give|
|B. don't give ||D. give no|
37. There have not been many questions to the speaker, ....... .
|A. has there||C. do there|
|B. haven't it ||D. have there|
38. She explained what ....... .
|A. the problem is||C. the problem was|
|B. was the problem ||D. had been the problem|
39. Because she didn't like the pair of black shoes, she asked for
|A. another shoes||C. others shoes|
|B. the others ones ||D. another pair|
40. The girl ....... the wall professionally.
|A. climbed||C. crawled|
|B. balanced ||D. walked|
Правильные ответы здесь.